What to do if it seems like you have a small penis
Syndrome Penile size and the 'small penis syndrome' a small penis is a distortion in the perception of their own body, in which men sincerely believe that their genitals are too small, and (key point) are very worried about this.
This is one of the subtypes of dysmorphophobia - a mental disorder that occurs in people due to imperfections in their own appearance, and often imaginary. However, not all experiencesfall short Penile Dysmorphic Disorder: Development of a Screening Scale. to the level of a nervous breakdown. However, it is worth checking if you are getting too close to it.
How to tell if you have small penis syndrome
Here are some alarming symptoms ...
- It seems to you that the penis is too small, and this seriously worries you.
- You directly associate penis size with the concept of masculinity. The more - the cooler. And "small" becomes a reason for low self-esteem.
- You regularly compare the size of your penis to others - in locker rooms, movies, media.
- You feel embarrassed about undressing in a shared shower or having sex because you are afraid that you might be laughed at because of your size.
- Because of these experiences, you have problems with an erection or getting an orgasm.
- Yes, you have already heard that your penis is "normal" (from a friend, urologist, or, for example, in a TV show, where they talked about the size of the penis), but do not trust these words.
Suspicions are heightened if, in addition to the listed symptoms, you have common signs of classic body dysmorphic disorder:
- Obsessive concern with your own appearance - it is important for you to look "at 100" at any time.
- Chronic worry about how you look.
- Compulsive (obsessive) behavior related to appearance, for example, many hours of rituals for skin or hair care, the desire to buy more and more new clothes. If for some reason you are unable to perform the “ritual”, you are very worried (to the point that you are afraid to leave the house).
How to get rid of the thought that your penis is too small
If there are no alarming symptoms, and thoughts on the topic “something will not be enough” are visited only from time to time, a simple thing will help to cope with experiences - information.
It's hard to believe, but many men just don't know Is my penis too small? what a normal sized penis looks like. Moreover, they sometimes do not evenpresent Penile size and the 'small penis syndrome' how their own actually looks.
For example, one of the methods of therapy is as follows: a patient who complains of a small penis is offered to completely undress and stand in front of a mirror to his full height. Thus, he gets the opportunity to see his penis the way others see him: a beloved woman or colleagues in the shower in a sports club. When viewed from the side, manhood looks more than in the usual perspective from top to bottom. Realizing this is calming and helps reduce anxiety.
Equally important is information about what constitutes a normal penis size. Do not rush to say: "This is understandable." Cairo University once decided to examine men who complained of too small a penis. According to the results of measurements, none of the 92 "poor fellows" had a really short organ: they all fit perfectly into the norm.
Men tend to overestimate the size of the average normal penis and underestimate the size of their own. This conclusion was made by scientists. ANDrecommended Treatment of men complaining of short penis. to complainants in minutes of especially painful thoughts to "be treated" by measuring the penis with a tape measure and comparing the obtained indicators with the standard ones.
By the way, about the standards:
- The average length of a non-erect penis is from 8 to 10 cm.At the same time, the healthy range is much wider - from 5 to 15.5 cm.
- The average erect penis length is 15.1 cm, the range is 11.4 to 19 cm.
In more difficult cases, if the feelings of the man are so strong that they reach the level of mental disorder (the symptoms are listed above), more serious measures may be required:
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. A therapist can help you figure out why a man is so obsessed with penis size and suggest ways to reduce anxiety.
- Taking some medications. For example, antidepressants from the group of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors help to cope with pronounced anxiety and neurosis.
- Physical procedures that help enlarge the penis (massages, use of vacuum devices and penis extension rings). Let's say right away: the effect of them is extremely small. So, the only study on the topic of jelqing (popular self-massage) reports: after three months of daily exercise, the average increase in penis length was only about 3 mm. And in some men, no result was observed at all. Nevertheless, these procedures often have a good psychological effect: they reduce the level of anxiety.
- Surgical operations. The most controversial point. They really help to enlarge the penis (although, as a rule, by no more than 1–2 cm), but they have a rather high risk of complications, as a result of which the length of the penis may evendecrease Penile size and the 'small penis syndrome' ... Therefore, it is worth resorting to them only in extreme cases.