The difference between water-based lubricants and silicone lubricants
We know that lubricants can be vaginal, anal. But what are these lubricants made of? All lubricants can be based on water or silicone. More on this below.
Nowadays, the lubricant has become almost an integral part of the intimate life of almost every couple. The shelves of pharmacies and sex shops are literally bursting with assortment, and each lubricant seems to be one better than the other. Accordingly, the problem of choice arises, which, much more serious than it might seem at first glance, and refers to this, should be given special attention. Correctly selected lubricant is the key to high-quality, long-lasting sex that will even exceed expectations. And the wrong choice can ruin the mood, ruin the vibrator or even cause disappointment from intimacy.
So what should you know and consider when a lubricant became a purchased item? To begin with, you should know that the lubricant can be water, silicone and fat-based. The latter dates back to ancient times, when women used olive oil, and not so much for comfort, but firmly believing in its action as a contraceptive. Now, in our age of discoveries and know-how, it is extremely unpopular due to its incompatibility with condoms, many sex toys, but the main thing is the aesthetic side and a sense of comfort. Few people want to feel fat on their bodies or get their laundry dirty. But water-based and silicone-based lubricants have been battling for decades. Moreover, each, lubricant of these two, has both advantages and disadvantages, and even its fans. However, such a choice, should not be based on the opinions and preferences of other people, it should be based on how and for what it will be used. Therefore, we will dwell on each of these two types in detail, so that you conclude, and your choice will bring you only joyful and positive impressions of sex.
So. First, consider all the advantages and disadvantages that the more popular water-based lubricant has.
Pros of water-based lubricants
- Water-based lubricant, the most versatile, as it is compatible with absolutely all types of materials from which sex toys can be made and does not destroy latex condoms. Perhaps this is what makes her a sales leader and gives the palm.
- It can be used not only for vaginal but also for anal. The only thing, in the second case, is to purchase a special lubricant with a denser texture.
- There is also a special water-based lubricant for oral sex. She literally gives a taste to such fun, helps to diversify intimate life, and is absolutely safe for health. However, it should not be used for other types of sex as it dries quickly and leaves a sticky feeling. At the same time, ordinary lubricant without foreign additives is tasteless, therefore it is suitable for those partners who like to alternate diving of the penis, for example, from the vagina into the mouth.
- An aqueous lubricant, hypoallergenic, and suitable for almost all people, with any sensitivity or skin type. And also, it does not leave marks on the fabric and can be easily removed during washing.
- Such lubricants are recommended for frequent use, for example, with daily training with vaginal balls, or prevention of vaginal dryness. In addition, if the composition includes natural ingredients, vitamins, etc. This has an extremely positive effect on women's health and the microflora of intimate organs.
- And, of course, the price. Such a lubricant has a democratic cost and is available to everyone.
Cons of water-based lubricants
- On average, it is generally accepted that coitus itself lasts an average of 5-6 minutes, the same amount of water-based lubricant works before being absorbed. Therefore, if you arrange sexual marathons, then you will have to apply them several times. At the same time, its consumption increases, and, accordingly, it will be reasonable to raise the question of its low cost.
- When choosing such a lubricant, you should pay attention to whether it contains glycerin. Of course, all modern intimate cosmetics are dermatologically tested and are safe for health. However, glycerin causes a sticky feeling and, if used frequently, can contribute to the development of thrush.
- If you want to have some fun in the shower or bath, then you know, the water-based lubricant will wash off in a matter of seconds, and you will not be able to realize your secret fantasies.
- What do you need to know about silicone-based lubricant?
Pros of silicone-based lubricants
- The main advantage that a silicone-based lubricant has is, of course, that it is absorbed for a very long time, therefore, even the longest sex will literally be "like clockwork"! Therefore, the bulk of moisturizers for anal sex have just such a base. Well, if you like to please one with an erotic massage, then this lubricant will help make it even more sensual, giving your hands a flawless glide over the body.
- If you decide to have sex in the pool or shower, you can safely take such a lubricant with you. It is not easily washed off with water, so nothing will prevent you from enjoying each other in such a romantic setting.
- Silicone lubricant, non-toxic, no preservatives, and absolutely safe for health. That for many, by right, can serve as a weighty argument when purchasing it.
Cons of silicone-based lubricants
- The first drawback, of course, is that silicone-based lubricants are absolutely incompatible with intimate devices made of cyber leather, TPR, and silicone. After all, no one wants to spoil their favourite vibrator, which brings so much unreal pleasure. It is only compatible with glass, metal or plastic sex devices.
- The second important factor to consider is the other side of the fact that such a lubricant is poorly absorbed. Therefore, it should be washed off immediately after sex to later avoid feelings of discomfort, and sometimes even a burning sensation.
- Unlike water, such a lubricant has an extremely unpleasant taste, so you will have to forget about oral sex with it.
- There is a possibility that marks or stains may remain on clothing or bedding.
- Again, the price. Silicone lubricants belong to a higher price segment than their water-based counterparts. However, if we take into account their economy, then this is quite possible to argue with.
As you can see, everyone should choose for themselves and there is no universal advice here, and it cannot be. It is worth relying on your preferences in sex, priorities, on what realizations you want to get in sex. When choosing a lubricant, it will also not be superfluous to consult with a partner, and even better, make a much-needed purchase together. After all, the choice is constantly growing, and each lubricant is being improved by its manufacturer to satisfy the wishes of people. For example, in California not so long ago, a grease containing hemp was presented. According to the developers, it should enhance the pleasure of sex, and accelerate the approach of orgasm in women.
We, in turn, hope that our information will help you make the right choice, despite the above differences that a water-based or silicone-based lubricant has. And, of course, find out that sex can be even more comfortable, varied and enjoyable than you previously imagined!