Cleaning sex toys: how to clean and store vibrators, dildos, anal toys and other sex products?
The pleasure must be safe, right? This applies to both sex with a partner and solo masturbation. If you do not want to feel discomfort after using a sex toy, which can develop into health problems, and the toy itself has remained in working order for a long time, you will have to clean it regularly. In addition, improper care and poor hygiene of such products as vibrators, dildos, butt plugs, strap-ons and other intimate gadgets can really cause the development of infections, so do not ignore the safety in solo sex. We'll show you how to properly clean your favourite sex toys.
The first step to cleaning a sex toy is to find out whether it is made of porous or non-porous material.
Materials for making sex gadgets are classified as porous and non-porous. If the material of the product is porous, it has tiny holes in which fungi, bacteria and common dirt can accumulate. In a non-porous material, there are no such holes, so the likelihood of accumulation of various microorganisms in such toys is much less.
Regardless of the material, we recommend that you clean your toy after every use!
Although porous toys are more likely to absorb bacteria and other microorganisms than non-porous toys, it is recommended that any toy be cleaned immediately after use. Including this important rule in your life will help protect your health from unwanted problems.
Your vagina is home to many bacteria, and when using a vibrator or dildo, chances are that some of these microorganisms will remain on the surface of the toy (if it is non-porous) or enter tiny holes (if it is porous) and continue to "live" there. Let's say if you have a sexually transmitted infection or vaginal infection, you can definitely spread it to your partner if you don't clean the toy before sharing it with your partner. An already cured problem may return.
Gastrointestinal bacteria cause similar problems. Your vagina is absolutely not used to those types of bacteria that are common in the rectum, they can get into the vagina if you use a toy in particular for anal sex. For example, you have had sex using an anal toy and decide to use it vaginally. These bacteria come in contact with the urinary tract and often cause serious urinary tract disease.
It is important to know that a humid environment is a favourable condition for the reproduction and longer life of bacteria. Thus, wet little holes in a porous toy are the most suitable breeding ground for bacteria. When dry, any bacteria on the surface or inside the toy will die. This is why it is so important to dry the toy well after cleaning. Depending on the type of bacteria, this may take a different amount of time.
For example, the bacterium Gardnerella vaginalis, which is the causative agent of diseases such as infectious bacterial vaginosis, can live on a hard surface for up to two days. The pathogenic bacterium Chlamydia trachomatis, which causes chlamydia in only a couple of hours, and Neisseria gonorrhoeae, which provokes gonorrhoea up to 24 hours. Yeast infections that are spread by Candida albicans can be active for several weeks, depending on the circumstances.
Keep in mind that the above information only applies to sex toys with a hard, non-porous surface. Unfortunately, there is no way you can tell if any microorganisms are present on your intimate toys, so it's better to take care of your intimate health than to put yourself at risk.
We suggest you clean your toy before each use.
Suppose that you washed your stimulant as efficiently as possible after use, but during storage it may come into contact with not entirely clean packaging, come in contact with lint or other dirty substances. Therefore, we advise you to rinse the toy before use.
Methods for cleaning sex toys BEFORE and AFTER use
It is very important to choose the right soap for cleaning. It should be mild, antibacterial hand soap or all-natural dish soap. The main criteria when choosing a product is the absence of odour, which can disturb the pH balance of the vagina, as well as a light consistency that will be easily washed off without leaving marks on the toy.
Below are specific recommendations for cleaning sex toys based on the material of manufacture:
- If your toy is made of latex or elastomer. Toys made from these porous materials are very sensitive to temperature and can deform when exposed to hot water or direct sunlight. We recommend wiping vibrating toys with a damp, soapy sponge or cloth. Waterproof or vibration-free toys can be rinsed with lukewarm water and wiped clean with a soft soapy sponge.
- If your toy is made of ABS plastic. The care of toys made from this material is identical to the care of latex and elastomeric toys. Wipe the product with a soft soapy cloth, and then clean the toy from soap only with a damp sponge or cloth.
- If your toy resembles a human body to the touch, it is made of cyber leather. Use the method above for cleaning cyber leather items. Just do not expose such a toy to a large amount of soap, as it can damage the material, depriving it of such a delicate and pleasant texture that resembles human skin.
- If the toy is made of glass. Soda glass intimate products are sensitive to high temperatures. And toys made of borosilicate glass can be heat treated in boiled water for 2-4 minutes for complete disinfection.
- If the toy is made of metal or silicone. Use mild antibacterial soap and warm water, or wipe with a damp, soapy cloth. Silicone and stainless steel dildos can also be immersed in boiling water for a few minutes.
- After wet cleaning, the product should dry completely in a well-ventilated place out of direct sunlight.
Alternative cleaning methods
It is convenient to have on hand a cleaning agent for intimate toys, for example, Antiseptic Lincomistin 0.1%, as a quick option for disinfection. Such funds do not harm the material and can help out at the most opportune moment. But it is worth remembering that this method is not acceptable for frequent use, it can be compared to dry shampoo, it is better than nothing, but wet cleaning is required as soon as possible.
Another option is to use a condom every time you masturbate. This option can eliminate the need to clean the intimate product.
Storing a sex toy matters a lot
The lifespan of your sex toy is directly dependent on proper storage. You shouldn't just throw items into a dresser, which probably contains dust and fine dirt. Store toys in the manufacturer's boxes, or purchase a silk or satin storage pouch. You can safely store compatible products without exposing them to UV light.
All these simple steps will increase the likelihood of a long, happy life for your toy and your enjoyment.